Friday, September 21, 2007

Reinactment

Every October there is a civil war reinactment here in Boyle County, Kentucky. I've lived here for 16 years now, and last year was my first time going to see it. As scouts, we went to help with crowd control so we got a front row view of the shootings. Well, at least until the fight moved to the other side of the hill!

This entry is not meant to document the battle or the reenactment, but to share some of my favorite photos I took that weekend. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

The sun must like it out there, it always seems to dress in it's best for us!


As we walked through the camps we were surprised to see how they seemed to just sleep anywhere.
Does anyone still camp like that
anymore?

We stopped a few times to chat with the rein actors. And they seemed to like the company.
This nice fellow and his mule were quite the attraction. He carefully warned the kids to be gentle with the animal, it was a bit skittish from abuse by prior owners. She seemed to enjoy the kids as much as they did, her!
And the kids like hanging around the props.


An earlier battle was staged for the press that was there, and I got to warm up the camera a bit...
We got to check out some of the main campsites before the battle began. These folks try to keep EVERYTHING true to the period! Most people can't even imagine what it must have been like to live in those days, much less fight!


I caught these two gals going down the hill, when we were going up the hill. I needed a good excuse to rest anyway. Aren't they cute?


This will give you a small idea how many reinactors come for this event.

This is just part on ONE camp!

Here are some of my favorites from the battle itself.





Does this look like a surrender?


Most of my favorites from the whole weekend was taken after the battle.



Does he have a cellphone!? Well, so much for authenticity! Lol! He probably wasn't expecting me to be zooming in on him either!




Here is a link about the battle
And a link about the Reinactment
I recommend attending this event to anyone who is even slightly interested in history, or the civil war, or just learning more about our country's history. Kids really enjoy it, and learn so much more when they experience it (me too!). It's more than just a battle!

No comments: