Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Waiting For Spring



One thing I like about this time of year, is we often get what I have always called an "Indian Summer". Different people have different ideas about what that really is, but to me, it's a time during winter when the weather breaks from it's frigid terror, and the sun comes out and teases us into thinking it's spring. I think that makes it an Indian Summer, because, if it were ages ago, it would be a time for, not just the Native Americans, but also the wildlife, to crawl out of their cramped winter shelters and get out and find food and exercise, and hope for spring time.
Well, we are having a modern day Indian Summer right now. Though the clouds and rain deter most of us from crawling out of our cramped quarters, the temperatures here right now are very warm. We know it won't last for long, so we must enjoy it while we can.
This past weekend my husband, youngest son and I crawled out of our 'shelter' and made a trek to a local park. Not just any park, but a State Park/Historic site. Perryville Battlefield was the site of the bloodiest battle of the civil war. It was not a planned meeting between the forces, but a happen-chance kind of meeting. I am not a historian, but I do know the battle was over water. The troops on both sides were thirsty, and the water seemed worth fighting over, I suppose. In a sad way, I would imagine some died of thirst that day. Something we can hardly imagine doing now days.
The park is being nicely kept, and new property gets added now and then . A reenactment is held on the grounds every October, which is worth attending for anyone so inclined. You can read more about it at this site: http://www.perryville.net/ .
What I'm here today for is to simply share with you a few of the photos we took on our visit to the park Sunday.

The drive out is only a few miles for us, we live in the same county as the park. We really wanted to get out away from town for awhile, but wanted to go somewhere we haven't visited in awhile. It's been over a year since we've been to the Battlefield, and the park holds many fond memories of family picnics and boy scout camp outs for us.
We weren't the only folks out for a stroll that day, but the park wasn't exactly crowded either. The sky was overcast, so the air wasn't quite as warm as it was the day before, but still warm enough for just a jacket. Our secondary purpose for going out there was to take photos with my new digital camera, and to run a roll of film through my new, 35mm cameras. With my Argus C3 Range finder, and my Canon EOS 750, and all my digital cameras, we had a blast taking shots of monuments, memorials, cannons, and even a little wildlife! My son likes that I have a new camera, so he can take pictures with the older ones.



Any trip to a state park, seems to require stopping by man made structures, to check out what men consider note-worthy. The flags were flying, sometimes, only when the wind picked them up. And the wind seemed to pick them up when I was interested in shooting them. I'm drawn to flags lately, I can't explain it. It probably has something to do with being patriotic, serving with the military, and seeing my sons join the military too. They are a silent reminder of strong wills, strong minds and strong people who made this country what it is today, and what it will be in years to come.
Here is a flag most folks don't see everyday....the Stars and Bars. I have a lot to learn about the civil war and the south. No, I'm not from around here. The marker near the flag said it is the flag that flew during the battle. I used to wonder why people fly flags that are no longer the symbol of our country, as we know it today. But now I know, it's part of remembering the past, and honoring those who flew it, and fought for it.

I have many more photos from that afternoon on my flickr. You can view the entire set HERE.
I still haven't uploaded the photos my son took that day. He has a flickr account now too, he's really doing a great job taking photos. When I get his photos posted, I'll add a link so you can see how my little apprentice is doing! He got some great photos of a hawk I really want to share!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice blog... came across it in the recently updated thing..